Saturday, May 6, 2017
Tour Break hosted by Pioneer Bank on the Square
The buildings on the Square tell a history of La Grange. From the mid-19th century on, the Square was home to jewelers, plow makers, dry good sellers and produce grocers, doctors, Chinese laundries, bakers and furniture makers, just to name a few.
The tours begin at the newly renovated Historic Casino Hall at 254 N. Jefferson Street. Built in 1881 by German immigrants, the building served the community in a myriad of ways, and now houses the La Grange Visitors Bureau, a performing arts center, and will eventually be home to La Grange Economic Development Corporation as well.
There will be a break in the tour with refreshments sponsored by Pioneer Bank, one of the buildings featured in the tour. Built in the 1850s, the Fink Building that houses the bank was originally a two-story, wooden building constructed by Johann Caspar Fink, a young businessman who housed his store there. Over the years, the building transformed into a Chinese laundry, a bottling works, and an air dome theater.
The tour is approximately two hours long. Participants are encouraged to wear comfortable walking shoes. All tours are free and open to the public; reservations must be made by calling 979-968-3017 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.